Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Hit up Comet the night previous for food where I ordered mac & cheese, but with Swiss cheese instead of Chedder. Although my stomach is not one for tolerating dairy products, I live in Wisconsin and therefore by law must love cheese. One of my favorite cheeses is Swiss, which I quickly learned was a love based in moderation. Although, I felt great that I had carbed up, I did not phyiscally feel so great due to the dairy and the overwhelming taste of Swiss. Needless to say I retreated to my bed that night with what felt like a brick inside my stomach. Then upon waking the next morning I was greeted with the same pain maybe ten percent less intense. After running around and getting everything together Jason called and told me he and wife were outside. I slamed my coffee and started hauling my things to the car. While attaching my bike rack I managed to role my front tire through dog poop, but Jason stepped in it so I got off lucky. Once all packed up we went and picked up Kevin and his wife Dani. Kevin's costume was quite hilarious. He was a red M&M and had the gloves to go along with it. About 13 min later we arrived at the Washington Park and were lucky enough to find a parking spot next to Cale. On the way to registration it was begining to seem like this race was huge. We were parked about 40 yards away from the parking lot and I did not see one spot left open. We had driven about 40 yards to find our spot and cars lined both sides. While I was registering a camera man from what I think was TMJ4 approached the table and wanted to speak with someone about the race. I did not see the video or interview, but if you know of anything shoot me an email or post the link in the comments.

I did a pre ride lap and investigated the terrain. I adjusted the air pressure in my tires, which i regret doing. During the race they were way to low and at some points in th course I was hitting rim. At the start line I sat next to Kevin on the far left side of the course. When they told us to go I got in my peddle right away and started to weave through people in a effort to go to the front. After the secound lap I was sitting third and was very pleased with my performance at this point. After going into lap 4 kevin passed me, but told me to ride his wheel. I was so out of breath that I could not respond. My response would have been,"How are you able to speak? I can barely breath", but I just obeyed. I tried to ride his wheel, but it lasted about a quarter of a lap until I fell behind. He was the second single speeder to pass me, making me feel very slow. The I tried taking Mike G and Jerry P's advice about going into a bigger gear. Instantly I found pedaling it was impossible so I went back down. On the last lap a guy from Team GT powered past me and I fought to hold on to his wheel. He made some distance on a straight away before the finish line. I picked up my speed and closed the gap a little, but was worried that the trocadero guy behind me would catch me if iI blew up. I rolled in for nineth place. I do not remember getting passed by five people only three, but I was dieing the whole race so I may have not noticed it. I was really greatful for all the people that cheering me on. It makes the race alot more enjoyable if you have awesome fans yelling at you to go faster. It is even better when your mom and little sister are screaming at you and cheerin you on(thanks). Hopefully, this coming Sunday the turn out is just as big or bigger.

A couple people mentioned to me that I put a little to much out at the beginning, then slow down quite a bit throughout the race. I always feel like I am just making a position for myself, so I do not have to do it later in the race. I do get passed by people later on though, so I probably need to work on my endurance. I feel my pace at the begining is pretty good, but I am still not sure about it. Kind of a shitty post, but I am super tired and am about to take a nap...so shut it!

No comments: