Tuesday, September 23, 2008

High Fives and Crappy Bike Rides

The High Five is finally here! It came in the morning yesterday, while i was at school. It looks rad, it is all white with a white fork, has silver cursive that says high five and has an integrated headset. I was pleased to see it came with a seat post and a head set, seeing that I have just discovered there is a difference between the money i pick off trees and the stuff i get from my bank. My plan would be to build it up today, but i have to work, then have class until late which will be followed by some homework. This makes for a nerve wrecking day knowing that i have finally got my cyclocross frame and fork, but have to wait to build it up. With any luck it should be built by Thursday, but I imagine that the weekend is more likely. Jonathon Page's CX race is this weekend both Saturday and Sunday. I would like to do both days, Sunday seems more of a real possibility than Saturday. My second thought is just blow off school entirely and build up the frame tonight. This way I would guarantee my readiness for the coming up races, yet an unusual feeling has fallen over me that says I should not go down this route. I remember someone telling me that is what responsibility feel like. I don't think this could be what it is because:
A. I don't want to over exert myself by going over to dictionary.com and find the actual definition.
B. I am 21 and can still get away with being naive
So I am still unclear on the name of the feeling, yet I will be going along with it and sticking to my gut, which has recently grown.

On a different note i took the trek up to Concordia like usual, but had made the mistake of leaving at six, which would make slow and cautious ride home since it gets dark earlier. I was feeling great on the whole ride there except when the sun started to retreat so did my level of comfort, since I didn't bother to bring any lights with me. As I cruised past Virmont Park(not sure of actual name) home I realized that it was completely dark and thoughts of being plowed away by a Soccer mom or Lawyer began to sink in. So I made the drastic choice to slow down by all busy intersections since most people drive like lunatics anyways, the thought of them not seeing me at night seemed very real. On the way back i noticed that Lake Drive has no street lights which added to my paranoia. I eventually turned on to Oakland and took that back deciding it was the safest route. This thought was soon interrupted when i blew the first red light and realized a cop was sitting on the other side of the intersection. My half ass ride was sure to become a complete ass or a complete ass and a half ride if I were to get pulled over. To my relief he had not turned around to pull me over, which was a bit shocking. I have heard they are a bit tougher on the cycling laws in the Shorewood and Whitefolks Bay. I probably will not be doing that again just for safety and financial purposes. Additionally the ticket would certainly make a dent on the already small budget of the HighFive. A budget that needs as much money as it can get.

2 comments:

Shawn Small said...

forget school for a day, build your bike

jasonludtke said...

hey, yeah! Like Shawn said. Come ride your bike!!!